Saturday, January 5, 2013

Hornady 223 Rem 75gr TAP Gel Test

Just finished up testing the Hornady 223 75gr BTHP round from my 1 in 7 Palmetto State Armory 14.7'' CHF 1 in 7 twist barrel.   The test was shot at 15 ft, 60 degrees, and 300 ft of elevation and the Clear Ballistics FBI spec gel block was used with 4 layers of denim.

Results:

-2386fps, 948 ft/lbs energy
-Expansion/fragmentation started at the 4''
-Jacket separation occurred at 10''
-Deepest penetration point was 19''

The manufacture of the gel block, Clear Ballistics, claims their gel meets FBI specs for testing. I calibrate my gel per their specs prior to testing and use 4 layers of denim per IWBA protocol.

However, by no means am I saying this test is a substitute for the great work industry professionals like Dr. Roberts and others do. I'm just a shooter that likes to learn about the products I use.


Here's the video of the test:



1 comment:

  1. It’s my first time to commenting anyplace, when I got this post I thought I might also make comment due to the present wise post.
    source

    ReplyDelete